ORTHOPEDICS & SPINE SURGERY
Spine specialists at ASHWINI utilize a wide variety of medical and surgical treatments to do everything possible to effectively treat spine disorders.
Our spine surgeons work closely with our spine physiatrists (also known as physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors), who specialize in non-surgical interventions. They, along with physicians at the Pain Management Center, collaborate to achieve an accurate diagnosis and offer comprehensive non- operative and operative care options. We at ASHWINI can comfortably claim of having the best spine surgeon in Cuttack.
Spine surgeons at the ASHWINI Department of Spine Surgery combine experience, expertise and innovation to offer the most appropriate surgical approaches for treating difficult spine conditions. They provide a full spectrum of adult cervical, thoracic and lumbar procedures for the treatment of degenerative, inflammatory and neoplastic conditions of the spine, as well as for spinal trauma and deformity, including scoliosis and spondylolistesis. They specialize both in conventional and innovative approaches – always striving to deliver the maximum benefit from the minimum amount of surgery. Apart from spine surgeons, we also have spinal cord specialist at ASHWINI, who are experts in the evaluation and treatment of Spinal Cord Injury (SCI). The Spinal Cord Specialist are trained in rehabilitative care of SCI and complications related to SCI. ASHWINI’ Spinal Cord Specialist is among the most experienced in the nation in the management of severe and catastrophic spinal cord injuries.
Physiatrists in the ASHWINI Department of Spine Surgery strive to deliver the utmost quality in non-operative (conservative) spine care. Their treatment focuses on educating their patients regarding their diagnosis and the benefits and role of exercise therapy, while prescribing medications and administering minimally invasive injections for the treatment of pain and restoration of function.
Our chiropractors at the ASHWINI blend the art of hands-on therapy with the science and technology of modern medicine and physical rehabilitation. Treatments may include spinal manipulation, soft tissue therapies, rehabilitation and nutritional and lifestyle counseling. As a conservative care profession, our chiropractors elect not to prescribe medications or perform surgery, and work closely with colleagues at the ASHWINI Department of Spine Surgery to provide a full spectrum of patient care options. The Spine Surgery doctors at ASHWIN, along with their team of nurses and staff work together to provide the best treatment and care.
The Department of Spine Surgery at ASHWINI Hospital is committed to provide best surgical and medical care for your spine health.
SPINAL STENOSIS: BEST SURGICAL OPTIONS
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF SURGERIES?
Following options are considered by spinal surgery doctors:
- Decompression: Decompression is a term that describes surgical techniques designed to relieve pressure from nerves or the spinal cord
- Laminotomy and Foraminotomy: If stenosis primarily affects the foramen—an opening in the vertebra through which nerves travel outward from the spinal canal—doctors can surgically widen the foramen and relieve pressure on the nerves. Often, doctors first remove part of the bony “roof” of the vertebra—called the lamina—to better access the spinal canal during surgery. These procedures are called laminotomy and foraminotomy.
- Laminectomy: Laminectomy involves removing the lamina, the part of each vertebra that forms the “roof” of the spinal canal. Removing the lamina from the affected vertebrae creates more space in the spinal canal and reduces pressure on the nerve roots and spinal cord. During laminectomy, a surgeon may also remove any bone spurs that have accumulated due to osteoarthritis. The surgeon may trim parts of the facet joint—located just above the lamina—if it has become inflamed due to arthritis and is compressing nearby nerves. Removing a large part of one or more facet joints may destabilize the spine. If this happens, surgeons may elect to perform a spinal fusion in addition to a laminectomy to ensure that the spine heals correctly and to reduce the risk of further problems.
- Discectomy: Discectomy involves removal of the injured part of a bulging or herniated disc, relieving pressure on the nerves or spinal cord. This may be an open procedure, allowing direct access to the disc through an incision, or a minimally invasive procedure called microdiscectomy, allowing access to the disc through smaller incisions and use of tiny surgical instruments. Either technique may be used to remove a disc fragment in the lower spine or neck.
- Spinal Fusion: In spinal fusion, a surgeon permanently joins unstable vertebrae using metal screws and rods. These remain in your spine and act like an internal brace to keep the bones in the correct position. The surgeon can also insert a small piece of living bone material, called a bone graft, between the joined vertebrae. This bone graft may be taken from your own body, typically from the hip, or from a donor through a bone bank. The graft may be placed directly between the fused vertebrae or inside a small metal cage before placement in the spine, which provides additional stability. Over time, the joined vertebrae heal, fusing into one bone mass. This gives the spine the stability and flexibility needed to support the body and also eliminates pain caused by the slipped vertebra pushing against nerve roots or the spinal cord. During spinal fusion, the surgeon may also widen the foramen, trim the facet joints, remove some or all of a herniated disc, or remove bone spurs.
ASHWINI, one of the most sought after spinal stenosis surgery hospitals in Cuttack, offers state-of- the-art evaluation and treatment of disorders of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine. Spinal stenosis treatment doctor offers surgical and nonsurgical evaluation and management of spinal stenosis. ASHWINI’ are touted to be one of the best in the city.
|MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY: A BETTER OPTION FOR BACK PAIN|
WHAT IS MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY?
Minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS) is a group of advanced procedures that allow surgeons to access the inside of the spine through dime-sized incisions or needle pricks. During MISS, an X-ray guided probe, tube or needle is used to pass a microscope or camera to the problem site so the surgeon can work deep inside the body. The surgeon uses special instruments inside these probes, which put less pressure on surrounding tissue and reduce pain.
HOW DOES MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY EASE BACK PAIN?
MISS is used to correct common spine problems, including: removal of a damaged or herniated/bulging disc, fusion of the spine to relieve back pain, insertion of screws to correct a spinal deformity and injection of cement to treat compression fractures.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY?
Minimally invasive spine surgery may benefit a patient in many different ways. Of course, the spine surgeon wants his or her patient to have a successful outcome after surgery too. MIS surgery may help shorten a patient’s length of stay in the hospital, reduce blood loss during surgery, reduce the risk for infection, help lessen muscle and tissue injury, reduce postoperative pain and the need for pain medications, smaller scar, faster healing, and return to normal activities sooner.
Though the procedure is still relatively new, Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery has been proven to be highly effective, aiding the spinal problems of over 90% of patients. Though the long-term success of these procedures has yet to be studied, it appears that MIS is as effective as traditional spinal surgery, with the added benefits of faster recovery times and less post-surgical pain.
WHO IS CANDIDATE FOR MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY?
Spine surgery is considered only after other conservative therapies such as physical therapy, chiropractic therapy and pain management have not worked. Talk to your doctor to find out if surgery is right for you.
WHEN IS A MINIMALLY INVASIVE APPROACH NOT POSSIBLE?
Many patients who have back pain associated with a spinal defect will require traditional open surgery. People with multi-level stenosis (a narrowing of the open spaces in your spine), previous spinal surgery or severe deformities cannot usually be treated with minimally invasive spinal surgery.
ASHWINI is the leader in minimally invasive spine surgery. Our goal is to help alleviate chronic neck and back pain as well as sciatica.
At ASHWINI, we are committed to quality, advancement and exceptional patient care, which has earned us the recognition of being a hospital with one of the best spine surgery in Hyderabad, India. Our commitment and passion begins with our exceptional patient care, extends to our commitment to teamwork and comes full circle in our compassion for our patients. Our minimally invasive spine surgery offers a safer and effective alternative to traditional open neck or back surgery. Dr. ------------------, is an expert in all kinds of spine treatment. It is his expertise that our patients trust in and refer us to their friends and family.
OPTING MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY
People tend to opt for conservative therapies than any surgical procedures opine the best spine surgery doctor in Cuttack. After having gone through many sessions of conservative therapies sometimes the pain still remains. Then they resort to the surgical procedures having no choice with the increased discomfort in the back. The surgical procedures are a scare as the pain is too much even after the surgery until it heals. With the minimally invasive technique the spine surgery is very effective.
Lower back pain is the most common pain in the spine usually eases off within 2-3 weeks. However if the pain is chronic one goes to the best spine centre in Cuttack. The physician would initially analyse the condition and his first approach would be to treat him with conservative approach (non-invasive method) to:
Provide strength and to condition the back
Reduce pain and the spasms
To ease pain, sleeplessness and depression
Generally if the lower back pain is getting chronic and is affecting his daily routine, there is a need for the surgery. It also includes:
If the patient loses bowel or bladder control; has weakness in his legs; then it is a medical emergency. There may be a need for the surgery. Yet, in most of the cases, surgery is rare.
If the patient has severe back pain and the physician doesn’t find any anatomical reason for the pain then he will advice the noninvasive approach only for his patient.
INSTANCES WHEN YOU NEED A SURGICAL PROCEDURE FOR YOUR SPINE WOULD INCLUDE:
- Spinal Fusion: This surgery is conducted when the joints in the pain is severe. The cause of the pain would be due to trauma, tumors, infections, degenerative disc diseases, spondylolisthesis. The surgically approach is invasive where a large incision is made, cutting through the tissue and bony structure. Even after the procedure there is a lot of pain and the patient faces muscle spasms opines the famous spine surgeon in Cuttack.
- Microdiscectomy: This procedure is conducted using minimally invasive method for patients who have a condition called radiculopathy on outpatient basis. The patients can resume their activities as soon as they are relieved from the hospital care. The success rates are high. Even if they come back for any re-correction it can be fixed without any need for spinal fusion.
IMPORTANCE OF MINIMALLY INVASIVE PROCEDURES:
Best hospitals for degenerative disc treatment recommend minimally invasive procedure than the non-invasive or open spine surgery is for the reasons that you will have an advantage for: Let’s see what they are:
With the minimal muscle dissection and a smaller incision is an advantage as the healing time reduces and there is minimal blood loss
The intra-operative imaging guide allows the screws etc to be placed accurately.
Patient with myofascial pain the minimal invasive approach serves better as the amount of muscle disruption is lesser
In the mini open techniques the cortical screws is a better option than the pedicle screws to set right multi segment lumbar stenosis.
The ASHWINI hospital stands tall in adapting the approaches and the newest techniques in the treatment for the degenerative disc in Odhisha. Without wasting much time the patients are guided towards the treatment in the best way his body is able to accept and handle it.
Department : Spine Surgery
THINGS ABOUT SPINAL TUMOR YOU NEED TO KNOW
A tumor on the spine can disrupt daily activities related to movement such as walking or running etc.The spinal cord is a very important part of the body that’s connected to your brain. As a result of the tumor, the brain stops sending the messages to the entire body hampering its functions.
The tumor doesn’t specifically originate in the spine.There are all possibilities for it to have developed elsewhere and then spread to the spine.
Statistics say that there is a possibility of increase in spinal and brain tumors in the coming years leading to several deaths as well.
Diagnostic Imaging is a procedure that helps in early detection of tumors. This procedure serves as a saviour in the world of Healthcare helping its patients treat tumors.
Patients who have already been a victim to tumor are more susceptible to get tumor in other parts of the body. The periodical check for tumors is very essential with such patients and Diagnostic Imaging will do the needful. Here are a few aspects that every cancer patient should be aware of.
1.Secondary malignant tumor in spine is a resultant of metastatis: Tumors in spine are still considered very rare as said earlier. Patients suffering from prostrate or breast cancer are more prone to spread them to spine which is a state of metastatis. It is termed as secondary malignant tumor.
2.Spinal tumor is easy to treat when its detected earlier:The tumor on the spine can be treated easily when its detected earlier in comparison with other tumors.
Chemotherapy or hormonal therapy can kill any tumors in the body at an early detection.
Incase the tumor has progressed into the spine and if it wouldn’t damage your spinal cord then radiation is yet another treatment option to remove the tumor.
Sometimes if the spine is under pressure or the tumor has spread into the spinalcanalthen surgery is another option through which the tumor can be removed successfully.
3.Persistent pain could be a symptom for tumor:If you notice pain without any obvious reasons and if you were once a victim of cancer then, you should check with a doctor soon and go for required tests. The other reasons could be loss of bowel or bladder function, weakness and numbness too.
4. Spine tumor surgery is not threatening in any way: Most people are prejudiced about the spinal surgeries or make their own assumptions out of it. A surgery on the spine will not cause paralysis at all. 99% of the spinal surgeries have been successful and you will come out healthy and relieved from tumor.